COVID-19 is a form of coronavirus, which causes a respiratory infection. Symptoms range from mild to severe illness and death. Within 2-14 days of exposure to COVID-19, a person who is infected may experience these common symptoms: fever, cough, and shortness of breath. The illness can be spread person to person through close contact and by touching contaminated surfaces.
As has been anticipated for some time, we are now seeing an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases around the world, with predictable media discussion of the potential effects, as well as reactions by financial markets, politicians, and organizations of various sorts.
As the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to adversely impact businesses going forward, it is important that businesses and employers develop an appropriate response plan.
Covid-19 Business Continuity Plan
We recommend that your business develop a COVID-19 Business Continuity Plan to help mitigate the adverse impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on your organization.
This plan should at minimum:
- Appoint Plan coordinators responsible for monitoring public health advisories and communicating updates within your organization;
- Address reporting requirements for employees who are experiencing symptoms and/or who may have come into contact with someone who is experiencing symptoms;
- Discuss self-isolation requirements for all employees returning from travel;
- Address any necessary travel restrictions and/or reporting requirements for anticipated travel;
- Include a contingency plan for alternative work arrangements, including a work-from-home policy; and
- Establish a protocol in the event of an organizational shutdown.
Your Business Continuity Plan should be tailored to your organization’s particular needs. Our Pitblado team is prepared to assist your organization in developing and implementing your Business Continuity Plan quickly.
For more information, contact the members of our labour and employment department:
William S. Gardner, Q.C., firstname.lastname@example.org, 204.956.3560
Benjamin R. Hecht, email@example.com, 204.956.3542
Tracey L. Epp, firstname.lastname@example.org, 204.956.3557
Todd C. Andres, email@example.com, 204.956.3575
Nicole Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 204.956.3584
Or call the Pitblado Law general telephone line at 204.956.0560.